One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, October 8, 2012

Freezer Meals ~ Breakfast Burritos ~ The Weekend

I am experimenting with recipes for freezing breakfast burritos. We have a large supply of peppers, potatoes, and onions from the garden.  We also have a good supply of eggs from our chickens.  

So why not utilize it into freezer meals for breakfast?  Kind of a neat way to stock up differently.


First we made a batch with home grown onions, green peppers, potatoes and home canned salsa.  Then we added some sausage and a bit of cheese. Oh, and the kids opened another jar of home canned taco sauce to top these tasty burritos.


Next, I made a batch with the same starter veggies, but added spinach in place of sausage and cheese.  Yum.  I used four types of peppers from the garden for this batch.  Yum!  Next?  Hmm?  Got any ideas?

I guess we'll need to invest in a large freezer now.  Sigh...(in a good way).

The Weekend....

Saturday I spent the most part running around town to get the one car fixed up - new washer blades, fluid.  Then I made a quick trip to the thrift store for pants for a school event, for one of the girls.  I picked a huge basket of all the peppers I could fit in my basket from the garden, and more onions.  There is more out there yet.

I finished the night by making a trip to urgent care, then coming home to take photos of my 15 year-old for homecoming.  I ended the night with my own version of Chex Mix, and watched a movie with two of the girls.

Sunday I unfortunately did laundry.  We expected snow, but got some drizzle early in the day.  I prepped a pan of rosehips for a dye (I had to go out and pick more), then made a big pot of hot cranberry punch.  I sipped it and tried to update the homesteading journal. I got out my Christmas Journal and made notes on food lists, and foods to make this year.  I went through my gift ideas and picked a few to work on. Then I worked on a knitting.

How was your weekend?

3 comments:

Kim said...

My weekend was a busy one, just like yours. I hope everyone is okay, because of the trip to the Urgent Care!!

Candy C. said...

Not quite as busy as yours! :)
My Saturdays are pretty much completely taken up by the Farmers' Market and Sunday is grocery shopping and laundry catch up.

Winnie said...

These breakfast burritos look delicious!!! What a perfect solution to garden abundance and quick and fast for school mornings. Yummy!!!