Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pantry Space ~ Laboring on Labor Day


This is a cabinet that my husband built me several years ago.  I used it for books, but have removed them to store my canned goods.  We lack kitchen storage space, so my storage is now in my living room (no kidding).

I even have more stored in a cupboard in another room.  I love this cabinet, so I may be building more of these for next season.

I put more smaller jars in this one, after I took the photo, so it's pretty full this year.  







Labor Day Updates:

Hubby and I spent Labor Day working in the garden.  It was hot, humid, and uncomfortable.  Shortly after I dug up more potatoes, and he spread out manure, we had a short down pour.  After that, we had intermittent showers all afternoon and evening.  

Hubby even helped me make a batch of seasoned tomato sauce, and wants to do it again.  I am forever thankful for his help. 

I spent the evening hours crocheting winter scarves and writing a list for fall cleaning and winter preparations.


6 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

How did you squeeze more jars in after photo, cabinet looks full to the brim .......... All your canned goods look great. Now you can plan another Fiesta for Cinco de Mayo in May. Looks like a fun party.

Granny said...

I love the cabinet. It's a nice size to fit in almost any room. I'm limited on kitchen storage and have two bookcases in the guest bedroom that hold my canned goods. I'm going to show my husband the picture and ask him about making me a couple of those cabinets.

Unknown said...

Nice use of the shelving!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

You are so busy and creative.
I like the cupboard especially with the fabric wire front.
Digging potatoes...sounds wonderful. We used up all potatoes that we grew. I bought a bag of potatoes (make that 2) and both bags rotted before we ate them. Ours however ...lasted! Except for us eating them up!

The crocheting and making a list...sounds good to me.
Been doing some of that myself!

take care, Pat

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I squeezed a few more half pint jars into it. I had to find another place for the rest, ha ha ha!

Candy C. said...

I love the cabinet and it looks sooo pretty with all the jars of goodies inside! :)