One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Knitted Dishcloth/Washcloth Pattern


I have had a few requests for the knitted dishcloth pattern.  I sell these at the Farmer's Market and our family store site (new site under construction).

I've adjusted it to the size that I like, but you can do the same as well.

Note: for dishcloth I knit to 52 on my needle, for a larger dishcloth or washcloth, knit 72


This is not my pattern, and I will be honest, I do not remember where I got it.  I have no notes on this pattern.  I'll try to be better and writing down book titles, Web sites, etc.  I do know that I have had it for a few years now.


Pattern:

Cast on 4 stitches

Rows 1-2: Knit

Row 3: Knit 2, yarn over, knit across row.
Repeat until you have the desired number of stitches (original pattern stated 42 stitches, but I found these too small)  See above note:  52 for dishcloth and 72 for a large rag

Once you have the desired amount of stitches on your needle:  Knit 2, turn, Knit 2, turn, Knit 1, Knit 2 together, yarn over, Knit 2 together, Knit to end of row.

Next row:  Knit 2, turn, Knit 2, turn, Knit 1, Knit 2 together, yarn over, Knit 2 together, Knit to end of row.

Next row: Knit 1, Knit 2 together, yarn over, Knit 2 together, Knit to end of row.  Repeat until you have 4 stitches left on your needle.

Last row: Knit 4

Bind off.

4 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

Thanks, Kristina! I needed a knitted washcloth pattern. We must have started knitting at the same time or there abouts. I really have learned patience through knitting....all that tearing out and starting over! LOL! But I do love it and the tearing out is getting less and less. Now, onto socks!

Sam I Am...... said...

Thanks, Kristina! I needed a knitted washcloth pattern and that o ne looks perfect! I think we must have learned to knit about the same time. It really taught me patience as there was much tearing out and re-knitting at first. Now, onto socks! LOL! (More tearing out and re-knitting I'm afraid!)

Candy C. said...

I love the edging! What kind of yarn do you use for your dishcloths?

Kristina said...

I use 100% cotton yarn.