Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, August 10, 2012

Honey - Cider Slaw ~ Surprise Mail



This recipe was very good.  I like the fact it did not contain mayonnaise in it.  I also read that the combination of the organic cider and raw honey work together to benefit one's health.


I first located a recipe on-line for Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey Cole Slaw.  However, it stated that the salad must be eaten immediately and would get soggy if left in the fridge.  I was looking for a recipe that would stay longer in the fridge.

Then I ordered more books from the library.  I love older cookbooks.  I found this recipe, but added garden carrots, used Bragg's Apple Cider and raw honey.  I followed the remaining ingredients, but found the cider to be a bit over powering.  I will make this again, using more honey, less sugar and less cider and see what happens.  

Honey-Cider Slaw 
(adapted from Honey Feast, A Sampler of Honey Recipes, by Gene Opton and Nancie Hughes © 1975)

1 large head of cabbage
2 medium yellow onions
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. salt (I used a bit less)
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 cup olive oil*
1/3 to 2/3 cup organic apple cider vinegar**
1 tsp. celery seed

Quarter, core and shred the cabbage.  Place in a large bowl.  Peel the onions very thin and place on top of cabbage (do not stir).  Sprinkle the sugar on top and drizzle the honey.  

In a sauce pan combine the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Pour over the cabbage and onions.  Stir and let stand for 4 hours.  Cabbage should shrink as it marinates.  Transfer to a glass bowl and store for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

*original recipe uses 2/3 cup oil
**original recipe uses 1 cup of apple cider vinegar 


Surprise Mail


I opened the mail to find a surprise package from my sister. I love surprise mail (and giving it too). 


She sent us Indian bracelets that are typically only available once a year.  The celebration is called Raksha Bandhan, which is a brother-sister holiday.






Our strawberries, that we planted in the raised beds, are doing better than the ones in the garden.  We will definitely be putting in more next spring. 

I am getting dutch oven spaghetti sauce ready to simmer.  We'll have braised cucumbers for a side.  I'm also making some iced tea with fresh sage and lemon balm, and sweetening it with raw honey.  Ahhhh.....the life of self-sufficiency.  Total bliss.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good recipe to try! I've never been a big mayo fan myself. I just planted lemon balm last month and will trey that too. I'm planning on drying some for teas this winter before the hard freeze...

EMMA said...

I love the sound of honey cider slaw. We have been having ours with mayo but i think my kids might prefer it with honey - my three year old would eat raw spinach drizzled with honey for every meal if I would let him.
Due to a planting mix up we have cucumbers in our garden for the first time ever, so I can also try your braised cucumbers.
We are a long long way from being self-sufficient (don't have enough land) but I love the fact that during summer at least I don't have to buy veg.
We have been very unsuccessful with our strawberries the past few years, maybe we should try raised beds!
love the bracelets.

Candy C. said...

Those bracelets are beautiful!
I like the sound of the slaw recipe too, nice change from the mayo based ones. Thanks! :)