One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Cooking Up Cucumbers


We've been experimenting with new cucumber recipes, and tried this cold pasta salad.  It's great with onion or with radishes.


Cucumber and Bow-Tie Pasta in Sour Cream-Chive Dressing
3/4 cup nonfat  organic sour cream
1/4 cup chopped organic chives
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3 cups cooked bow-tie pasta
3 cups sliced organic cucumbers, quartered
1/4 cup sliced organic radishes 

Dressing:  In medium bowl, combine sour cream, chives, vinegar, sugar and pepper; stir to mix well.

In a large serving bowl, combine pasta with cucumbers.  Pour dressing over pasta mixture; gently toss until evenly coated.  Top with slices of radishes.  Refrigerate, covered, until well chilled.

Note:  We added chopped organic onion for more flavor.

I looked up the health benefits of cucumbers, and am amazed at how God created such wonderful foods for us.  And that we can grow them from a simple seed.


I made Cucumber - Mango Salsa. . .one reader suggested omitting the garlic and adding red bell pepper and red onion.  We did that and it was a big hit here with chips or on meats and fish.


I made Cucumber-Ginger Jelly. . .I couldn't wait for my library books to come in (for the recipe I forgot to write down), so I looked one up on the Internet.  They were more on the runny side in the first 24 hours, but after putting a jar in the refrigerator, it set up more.  I may seek ideas to use this as a syrup, and wait on those library books to come in.  It may very well be my new burner I used.  It has one less coil than the previous one, so I may have not boiled the sugar in it enough, prior to adding the pectin.  It's got good flavor anyway.

We made a cool cucumber face mask with yogurt and cucumber, and cooled our eyes with cold slices of cucumber.

The days have been very long this past week, and I finally spent time on the front porch.  The weather is cooler now.

3 comments:

nancy said...

Nice idea with the pasta salad! I may try that. I wish it would cool down here, conssisten high 90's. Except for waiting for the garden to produce I'm ready for fall weather. 75 would be so NICE!

EMMA said...

Yummy! I like the sound of all that.

Candy C. said...

Neat ways to use up and eat more cucumbers! The pasta looks yummy, as does that salsa! :)