One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wild Red Clover Jelly


While sitting outside the other night, looking out at the back of the property, I looked at all that wild growing red clover.

"I wonder if the pioneers made anything out of clover?" I asked the kids. 

Their response?  Laughter and head nodding.

"Let me guess Mom?  You are going to make jelly?"

I don't think the pioneers would have canned it with 8 cups of sugar, but I made it anyway.  I used the same recipe I used for the white clover.

It turned out with a very pretty color.

We tasted the wild white clover jelly and it was delicious.  Not one person here had a bad comment.  One daughter said it tasted like a popsicle.

It is a bit softer than a regular jelly, almost the thickness of dandelion jelly.  In my opinion, a bit too runny.   I'll let the other jars set a few more days to see if it thickens.  It not, I will be using a different recipe that yields less jars.

Next to try will be a jam, similar to what the pioneers made.

6 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

I have a whole lawn of white and red clover but Terminex was here and my neighbors use chemicals on their lawns so I don't think I'll try it. But when I get my little acreage for sure!!!!

Anna said...

oooo.... that is sooo pretty!
Just as soon as I can find some pectin without any dextrose in it, I plan to get back into making jams and jellies. I can't wait!
If it doesn't set up, you could always use is as pancake syrup. I did that once and my kids really enjoyed it that way!

Candy C. said...

It sure turned out a pretty color! :)

RUA2J said...

When I have jelly that comes out a bit too runny I use it as syrup for pancakes or waffles! Yummy!

EMMA said...

This looks delicious! I took my daycare boys on an outing to find red clover today, we found the clover but had forgotten a bag!! We will be re-tracing out stroller tracks very soon! Going to try making your coffee jelly this weekend!

Kristina said...

It's thick enough to use for jelly, I just have to use a spoon vs. a knife. Once it's been in the fridge, it's also becomes a bit thicker.