One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sage and Sore Throats


The pioneers used sage to treat mouth sores and sore throats, so I picked some sage from my herb garden, and made a hot cup of sage tea.  


If it worked for them, it has to work for my own sore throat.

I did some more research, and found out that a compress of sage tea can be used on the forehead for treating a migraine too.  This is very useful information for us.

I am concerned about my sage plants.  Only one has a few new leaves, and the other has zero.  If they both don't do well next month, I will need to re-plant new sage plants this year.  It's been a very useful herb in my garden for seasoning food, and now for medicinal purposes.

In my quest to use natural remedies, I have ordered several books from the library again. 

3 comments:

Candy C. said...

I had sage for awhile but it died. :(

nancy said...

I bought a culinary sage plant years ago- it's huge and good to know about the sore throat remedy...

Anna said...

This is great to know! For both the sore throat and the migraines. I have purchased several herbs this year, but I don't think I have sage yet (last year's drought killed all mine out). I will definitely have to get some, now. I like it to cook with, too. Is it a perennial? I always thought it was an annual.
And, have you ever tried pineapple sage? I had some a year or so ago and it was great in chicken dishes.