Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dandelion Jelly, Dandelion Root and Fun Mail

I canned this season's first dandelion jelly.  Last year it did not set, and I had to re-boil it.  This year, I used a different recipe, and it set.  Now....we just have to taste it.


Update:
I used my Queen Anne's Lace Jelly recipe, but used about 2 cups of dandelion petals.  Next time I will use about a quart of petals and boil them a bit longer.  The kids really liked the flavor this time.

I also cleaned out 2 more flower beds, and pulled all the dandelions (several more to clean out yet).  The roots dried nicely in my dehydrator overnight.  My jar is filling back up.



I entered a blog giveaway, by Nancy Jo and won this apron book.  I can't wait to sew my own this year .....after I shed more pounds.  Thanks Nancy Jo.  It arrived very pretty, wrapped in tissue paper and ribbon.

After Easter, I am focusing on finished up to declutter spots - one bathroom drawer (kids keep messing it up) and one entrance area where boots are in an ugly mess.

6 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

i want to try this dandelion jelly.
I recently saw someone post dandelion syrup...is this the same thing?

The Husband has recently mowed and so my dandelion supply is down...I may have to wait.
But I still want to try it!

do you think this would help or hurt someone with allergies. (by helping i mean sort of like local honey does for people with allergies)

-Pat

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Pat, this is actually jelly that I made. Not the same as syrup. I used my Queen Anne's Lace jelly recipe (also on my blog) and followed it the same only with dandelion petals. I will boil my petals longer next time, and add more to have about a quart of dandelion petals. They kids love this batch I just made.
I'll add the link to the post.

Candy C. said...

I love your book from Nancy Jo and the color of your dandelion jelly is very pretty!

EMMA said...

Dandelion jelly sounds delicious! I love the see-through colour. Do you eat the leaves? my neighbour is crazy about them. I remember my father making dandelion wine when I was younger but unfortunately I didn't get to taste it! Amazing what you can do with a 'so-called' weed.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Emma,
We do eat the leaves in salads and in dandelion gravy. Next week I plan to pick some more.

Sam I Am...... said...

Lucky you! that is a very nice book and Nancy Jo is a sweetheart through and through! Let us know when you make something from it. Congrats!