Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Vintage Tray ~ Dry Mixes ~ Books

After a long debate, I decided to simply use my vintage serving tray for what it was intended for.  I considered adding a ribbon to hang it for a magnetic board (to hold photos), but did not.  It will come in handy this summer when I take iced tea out to the porch.
Today the weather was so nice out, I started spraying on a coat of acrylic coating to protect the paint.
We had a lot of wind.  Lots of it.  I had to take my tray inside to dry, or the wind would have taken it to the next county.

 I mixed up two jars of dry mixes - Dry Italian and Pumpkin Pie Spice.  Both are stored in recycled containers and the labels were printed on recycled school papers.  For the pumpkin pie spice I use a recipe from Allrecipes.  Here is the recipe for  the other one:

Dry Italian Mix
(in place of Zesty Dry Italian Mix)

1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
2 Tbsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. ground basil
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. dried celery leaves

Mix in a bowl and store in airtight container.

2 Tbsp = 1 packet
(for dressing, mix 2 Tbsp. of mix with 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 Tbsp. water and 1/2 to 2/3 cup olive oil)

Random Reading

The other day, I visited the library.  I randomly picked a book off the shelf, along with a few others.  The top book in the photo is written by Grace Livingston Hill, and was a random pick.  I had no idea who the author was until I arrived home. The other three are my own books, and I am reading all four of them.  

My 10 year-old and I are alike.  She is reading 3 books at once. Ha ha ha!  She said she reads which ever one she is in the mood for.  I guess she gets that from me.

A Year of Quotes:
"It is the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter,"  ~ Marlene Dietrich

3 comments:

Candy C. said...

We have been having a lot of wind here too the past few days. Love the quote! ;-)

Nancy Jo said...

I think its a good idea to use the tray. Put it behind something on your kitchen counter, I have three old tole trays in my kitchen, I like the way they look. I just put another one in my bathroom this morning.
Nancy Jo

Sam I Am...... said...

I always read several books at work...I go to bed early but read until late! LOL! I read a magazine, do a Sodoku to keep my brain awake, a fiction and a non-fiction every night. Those look good!