One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Vintage Tray ~ Dry Mixes ~ Books

After a long debate, I decided to simply use my vintage serving tray for what it was intended for.  I considered adding a ribbon to hang it for a magnetic board (to hold photos), but did not.  It will come in handy this summer when I take iced tea out to the porch.
Today the weather was so nice out, I started spraying on a coat of acrylic coating to protect the paint.
We had a lot of wind.  Lots of it.  I had to take my tray inside to dry, or the wind would have taken it to the next county.

 I mixed up two jars of dry mixes - Dry Italian and Pumpkin Pie Spice.  Both are stored in recycled containers and the labels were printed on recycled school papers.  For the pumpkin pie spice I use a recipe from Allrecipes.  Here is the recipe for  the other one:

Dry Italian Mix
(in place of Zesty Dry Italian Mix)

1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
2 Tbsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. ground basil
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. dried celery leaves

Mix in a bowl and store in airtight container.

2 Tbsp = 1 packet
(for dressing, mix 2 Tbsp. of mix with 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 Tbsp. water and 1/2 to 2/3 cup olive oil)

Random Reading

The other day, I visited the library.  I randomly picked a book off the shelf, along with a few others.  The top book in the photo is written by Grace Livingston Hill, and was a random pick.  I had no idea who the author was until I arrived home. The other three are my own books, and I am reading all four of them.  

My 10 year-old and I are alike.  She is reading 3 books at once. Ha ha ha!  She said she reads which ever one she is in the mood for.  I guess she gets that from me.

A Year of Quotes:
"It is the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter,"  ~ Marlene Dietrich

3 comments:

Candy C. said...

We have been having a lot of wind here too the past few days. Love the quote! ;-)

Nancy Jo said...

I think its a good idea to use the tray. Put it behind something on your kitchen counter, I have three old tole trays in my kitchen, I like the way they look. I just put another one in my bathroom this morning.
Nancy Jo

Sam I Am...... said...

I always read several books at work...I go to bed early but read until late! LOL! I read a magazine, do a Sodoku to keep my brain awake, a fiction and a non-fiction every night. Those look good!