Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Vintage Jewelry ~ Cooking in Canning Jars ~ Thrift Store Finds

During our antique mall visit, I also purchased this vintage necklace.  It's handmade with beads.  Right now I'm trying to locate a few of the darker red beads to make matching earrings for it, and possibly a bracelet.  I love wearing vintage jewelry when I can.


A closer view.  The sun was shining, so I took a better photo after taking the first. 

The vintage towel behind the necklace was also a good find.  I will most likely use it for a hand towel in my master bathroom.  

(before)

 (after)
I have been wanting to try this recipe, and finally did.  They are Individual Brussels Sprout and Potato Frittatas.  The recipe is from Eating Well.  Mom gave me some old magazines and this was in one of them.  

I did not have 10 oz. ramekins that the recipe called for.  I simply adjusted the recipe using my farm fresh eggs and used 1/2 pint, wide mouth canning jars.  I love this recipe.  I am so ready to plant more brussels sprouts, potatoes, dry more herbs and use goat's milk for this.  You can add about any vegetable to these too.  Yum!

I donated items to a local thrift store that benefits children.  I took the time to look around and brought these fun finds home with me:
 
 A vintage dish towel ~ $.69
A vintage crocheted doily ~ $.50

 Another dish towel ~ $.50
A ceramic bowl made in California ~ $2.00

 2 placements with camper pattern ~ $1.00 total
Retro stapler that works ~ $1.00

 3 books
Stephen King's "On Writing" ~ $3.00
A bit high, but anything sold used on-line has about $3.99 shipping anyway.
"Walking West" a Pioneer story ~ $.50
Antique book on Sentence and Theme ~ $1.00

What a fun time I had, and now we have more towels for the house and for camping.

I also bought 2 glass bowls for $.25 each for the cats.  I don't like to buy paper plates all the time and it's more eco-friendly.  They are made in the U.S. also.

I guess I better start "spring" cleaning the closets, so I have another reason to visit the store again soon - ha ha ha!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny- going to donate and then buying!

Michelle said...

Great finds . I love the vintage stuff.

Candy C. said...

Love all the vintage finds, the placemats will be perfect for when you guys go camping! I'm going to check out that recipe, good idea to use the canning jars! :)

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I love everything you do! Did I ever tell you now much I love that house in your header? Well I do love it very much!
Dolly

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Dolly. The house on my header was near a horse rescue that we were at one year. I just had to take a photo. I love taking pictures of old buildings. I really wanted to go inside it, but hubby said "no way" ha ha ha!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I almost always donate and buy on the same day! lol...

that brussels sprouts and potatoes sound delish... I just had brussels sprouts from our garden today!

I was so happy to get to grow them. Honey doesn't like them, so I'll be freezing what I have and eating them on occasion ...all alone! lol...
have a great week~ Pat

EMMA said...

That recipe looks delicious, if you don't mind me asking how many eggs did you use?
I love that vintage necklace, so elegant!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Emma, I doubled the recipe and used about 8 eggs. I had just enough egg mixture for 8 jars.

larkspur funny farm said...

Sounds like a perfect day and a great haul of goodies.

Sam I Am...... said...

That recipe looks great and I LOVE brussel sprouts too! You got some great treasures at your thrift. Did I tell you how they doubled the prices at mine? I saw a mug last time and it was $4.00....I have to find a new place...too pricey for me for used. I donated too and would always buy but no more. I love the bowl and the fish towel....you really got great stuff!