Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, February 5, 2012

It Only Took Me a Year ~ More Freezer Cooking

I finally finished my sherbet ripple afghan.  It only took me a year to finish it.  Why?  Well, I have a large family and there are always interruptions and requests and needs and chores. And then there is me.  I tend to put a project to the side, and actually start another one.  Yikes!  I finished other projects, but they are gifts for Christmas and I can't spoil the surprise.


Today the fog is thick.  Once again the weather is strange . That's why the photo is not filled with sunshine.


This was Saturday.  We finally got more snow, but by the afternoon, we once again had a muddy mess.


This is Sunday morning - foggy and warm.

I found another way to get my family to eat collards.  I pulled a bag of garden tomatoes from my freezer and made this stew.  I found the recipes on-line:  Black Eyed Pea Stew with Collard Greens and Potatoes.

I like this recipe, not only for it's healthy ingredients, but that I can make this completely myself.  The broth can be homemade, the black eyed peas can be grown, the collard greens, tomatoes and potatoes can all be grown.  Despite this recipe not having a lot of herbs and spices, it tasted pretty good.

I also baked the family another new recipe: Halibut & Black Bean Burrito Casserole.  I could not find Halibut in our stores, so I used Mahi Mahi.  These were very good too.  I did cook my own organic brown rice for this, and baked up a pot of black beans (vs. canned beans).  I did not make my own tortillas, but that is a future goal for me.  These were gone before I could take a photograph of them.

9 comments:

Candy C. said...

Your afghan is lovely! Doesn't it feel good to get projects finished?
That Black Eyed Pea Stew looks right up my alley! YUM!!

GrannyAnnie said...

That afghan is beautiful! I love the colors! I haven't made one off of that pattern in a long time. I have several afghans to get made for next Christmas. One of them will have to be from that pattern, for sure. And I so understand having unfinished projects and starting another one. I am sitting here right now looking at 4, and that is just what I can see!
That Black Eyed Pea stew sounds really good. Going to have to try it soon. And yes, it would be especially good made from all home grown veggies.

Nancy Jo said...

Hi Kristina,
Your afghan came out so pretty, Isn't it a good feeling when you finish something.
I see you have been doing lots of cooking, it all looks good, well maybe not the greens. HA.
Nancy Jo

labbie1 said...

Hah! Reading about your projects sounds just like me! Start one and before you get it finished, another is started! LOL

The afghan was sure worth waiting for though!

Unknown said...

Pretty afghan! I gotta try the burrito recipe, I have lots of tilapia now. Good soup too!

Unknown said...

I love that "clean Eating" website, thanks! I might get their book of recipes....

Nancy said...

What a great way to brighten your foggy day! I really enjoy seeing some of the classic patterns making a comeback in fresh new colors. Keep up the good work, Kristina!

Nancy
www.liveasavorylife.com

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Those recipes look really good... Oh, that afghan is gorgeous. I wish I could learn how to make those ripples...that looks neat. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

City Chick said...

Beautiful afghan!