One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, January 23, 2012

New Twist on Fries

I am trying to add more vegetables and fruits to our meals, so I made Rutabaga Fries to go with baked Tilapia and peas mixed with carrots.  

These were okay, but nut spectacular.  We used a recipe that required fresh chopped rosemary and onion powder.  They were good, but not really good.  

There are so many recipes available for baking these.  I may try using a garlic herb mix on them the next time I bake them.

3 comments:

Katmom said...

Rutabaga? I would never have thought to try it... but then I am a little slow at venturing out beyound, taters & corn! lol! I did finally try french fried sweet taters, and was pleasently surprised... i like them...
Let us know how the next experiment goes with the rutabagas goes.. :>)

Candy C. said...

Do you think it was the rosemary? I know it's not one of my favorite herbs to cook with but I love having it in the garden! LOL!! I'm new to rutabagas and trying to find different ways to prepare them.

labbie1 said...

Not something I would have had the guts to try.

Another blogger used tiger lily rhisomes to make mashed potatoes and pronounced them quite good.