Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Homemade Deodorant and Slip-Sliding Down Project Runway....

My first granny square scarf.  I had fun with this and plan to make another one for gifting.   This one went to the same daughter, that this hat (another finished project)....


went to.  And then I finished. . . 


Another hat for another daughter.  They love these hats.

I made my first batch of homemade deodorant.  There are many recipes out there, and after I made this one, it was recommended to add Thyme oil to kill off any bacteria (same with Tea Tree Oil).  This recipe required 6-8 Tbsp. coconut oil (melt to measure), 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup arrowroot powder (you can use corn starch, but I read that it can clog pores), and 1-2 drops of essential oil.  I had lavender on hand, so I used that.  The more coconut oil, the harder your deodorant is.  I did use the 8 Tbsp. to give this a try, but may cut back on the oil for the next batch.  The real test will come this summer when I'm sweating up a storm in the garden.  

This will cost us less, contains no aluminum or other cancer causing chemicals, and lasts a lot longer than deodorant purchased in stores.


Yesterday, I brought back an old tradition - Punch Bowl Friday.  On a special Friday of my choice (during the school year), I surprise the kids with a new punch made in the punch bowl, along with after school snacks.  This one was Apple Orchard Punch.  I meant to slice apple rings for this, but did not have any apples that day.  It's just a fun way to spruce of the end of a loooong school week the kids may have had.

9 comments:

Kim said...

I have used this same recipe and I added the tea tree oil and I used 2 drops of lemon oil.

Michelle said...

Let me know how the deodorant worked. Love the punch idea. We don't drink soda,so this is a way to add more flavored drinks to our home.

Candy C. said...

The scarf and hats are very cute! Love the colors!
I will be curious to see how your deodorant works, let us know!

EMMA said...

This may sound a bit dumb but how do you use the deodorant - does it stay liquid or does it solidify? Love the yellow colour of the hat and I think i'll give the punch a try; can't get cranberry concentrate here so i'll just have to use juice.

simplicityinthemaking said...

Love the colours in your hats. Sure cheers up the winter! The DO recipe looks interesting. Must give it a try, only coconut oil is $$$$

Nancy Jo said...

You sure o keep busy. Cute hat, looks nice and cozy.
You can come and go thrifting with me any time! Plenty in the store for both of us.
Nancy Jo

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Emma, the deodorant goes back to a solid after I melt the oil to measure, and mix in the ingredients. I have been told that hot weather will melt it, so I will need to put it in the fridge to keep it solid in very hot months.

labbie1 said...

I had the question of how to apply it as well. How does one apply that deodorant? I am interested to see how it goes this summer. Do keep us updated!

Love the scarf and hats. Such bright colors for winter have to make you smile!

Love the idea for the punch for the kids to brighten their week. Great idea!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Just rub the deodorant with your fingertips and apply it. I may look for refillable (BPA free) deodorant dispensers if we end up making this a lot.