Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Excerpts from a Journal Junkie

from the Homesteading Journal. . .

We stocked up another truck load of hay for the goats. Speaking of goats, my 15 year-old said she could feel Peanut's baby kick.  She is due to kid in about May. 

(sorry for the bad photo - bad lighting)

I am trying my first batch of "budget" baking mix and we made Monster cookies.  They were pretty good too.



I've found another way to add kale to our meals - mix it in with garlic mashed potatoes. Note to self - plant more Kale in the garden this year.

I've also been looking for ways to utilize our stocked up blueberries and ricotta cheese.  Both are future goals for us - produce enough home grown, chemical free blueberries to stock up, and make homemade ricotta cheese from our own raw milk.  I've been adding both ingredients to pancakes and topping with a homemade honey syrup.  Every time I bought a bottle of pancake syrup (when real Maple syrup was too expensive), I would cringe.  To my surprise, the homemade honey syrup is delicious, healthy, affordable, and utilizes our raw honey we purchase locally.  Raising our own honey bees is on our future goal list also.


The kids cleaned their room, and one decided she did not want this pink vintage suitcase anymore.



I claimed it as mine.  It's too small to really pack clothes for a trip, but I could use it to store books or games for camping trips.  Possibly use it to store craft supplies.  Not sure yet.

My son invested in a charger to charge AA rechargeable batteries. Although electric, it should save us money on batteries when we need them.


We recently found out that we can dump our wood stove ashes directly to our garden.  We've been adding some to the compost, so it makes sense, and easier too.




from the craft journal. . .
  
(before framing)


I finished the shadow box that I was framing my Grandmother's 1924 Valentine in.  I quilled the top two corners and added a few quilled hearts around her photo.


I finished 3 pairs of dice earrings for my 10 year-old (who has been begging for a pair).  She saw them at Claire's (6 pairs for over $8.00).  I told her I could make them, and did for a lot less.  I purchased dice beads for $2.99 plus 30% off, and have more to make for all the girls.


I finished  three pairs of pink dice earrings I made from pieces of a broken, elastic kids hair band.


I also finished a few more bottle cap magnets.  The kids have been asking for more, to use in their school lockers. 

I also finished two other projects that can be read on my S.C.R.A.P. Blog:
 http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-can-i-do-with-vintage-wooden.html

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/2012/01/pin-cushions-using-kitchen-and-art.html

 from the family journal. . .



I surprised the kids with another "Punch Bowl" Friday punch and cookies.  I am working on more new family traditions.




from the gratitude journal. . .

Today I am thankful for:

1.Cartoons - they make me laugh.

2. my stove

3. Music

4. the extra drying racks that Mom gave me, I've been using them a lot this season

5. God's Promises
 


 

  

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

I'm glad ya'll liked the cookies! Garlic/Kale mashed potatoes - YUM!
The earring sure turned out cute and I love the arrangement for your grandmother's vintage valentine!
I'm going to have to look for your honey syrup recipe too!

City Chick said...

The cookies look yummy! You'll have to share the recipe.