Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thrift Store Find ~ Getting Back in the Groove

I don't shop for Black Friday sales, and I felt good enough to get some organizing, sewing, crocheting, and cleaning done yesterday.  I took a few of the kids to a local thrift store, and came home with a record storage cabinet.  It's perfect for properly storing my albums and 45's.  They were in a cardboard box previously, that tore apart.

Now, they are off the floor, into proper storage, and easily accessible for some afternoon or evening entertainment.

I also came home with a $.50 cookbook that contains egg recipes.  Next summer, when I don't feel like making home made noodles or angel food cakes, I have an old recipe book to give me more ideas.

I brought home a gently used pair of snow pants for another one of the girls, for only $5.00 also.  Pretty soon, that snow will be here, and the stores will have switched to selling bathing suits (ha ha ha!).

I dug out the dog coat pattern yesterday too.  It's the first time sewing with a pattern in a very, very long time.  I think the last time I did real sewing like this was waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day during 4-H.  If I can find a good on-line tutorial for sewing double fold bias tape, and get to the craft store for velcro tape, I'll have one of our dogs sporting his new winter coat soon.  


I had to laugh yesterday, as I always predict this time of year for a hoard of birds to visit us.



Can you see all those birds on that tree?  A past home owner planted this ornamental apple tree.  Every fall the black birds and other birds fly in to eat up all the tiny ornamental apples.  The apples almost look like cherries.  Anyway, this is where it gets tough to dry laundry outside.  They fly over the house and over my clotheslines.  Jasper, one of the house cats, sits in this window doing some serious bird watching.


Today's agenda is to get roofing on the goat shed and more inside cleaning completed.  I let my writing go for 2-3 days now, and will need to double up on time for that too.


2 comments:

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

It's been awhile since I've used a sewing machine, too :) :) I do need to start some sewing projects.

You should post a pic of the doggie coat when it is all finished. That sounds like it will be really cute :) :)

Have a great weekend. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California (formerly Oregon), Heather :)

Candy C. said...

Looks like ya'll scored some great "Black Friday" deals! ;-)
I would like to see the finished doggie coat too!