Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Spaghetti Squash

I completely forgot to take photos to share, but I baked up 2 spaghetti squash (could have used more, but it was our last ones), and made Baked Spaghetti Squash.

It was delicious and we will be keeping this recipe.  I have did not have mushrooms or olives when I baked it, and I used home canned seasoned tomato sauce (thickened with tomato paste).  It was very good.

My tip:  Cook the spaghetti earlier, with enough time to drain out the water (to keep the casserole from being to watery).  Home canned sauce is not as thick as store pasta sauce, so I may toss in some dry spaghetti noodles to soak up more liquid next time.

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

How funny! I made spaghetti squash with leftover frozen meat sauce last night for dinner! I really liked it but hubby said he would rather have "real" spaghetti and save the squash for a side dish! It was a bit watery.

The 3 Foragers said...

We love spaghetti squash. I bake it to make it stringy, then add cottage cheese, monterey jack cheese and freshly ground nutmeg and salt and pepper to it and bake it again in a casserole dish. Very tasty! Karen