Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunflower Power

I used pieces of cheese cloth to cover the head of my sun flowers, and tied it on with string saved from feed bags.  Hopefully the birds won't get to them anymore.

I'm now on the hunt for recipes using sun flower seeds.  I mentioned, to the family, that foxtail grass seeds, and the other red flower we found, is edible.  My  husband looked at the kids and said, "you guys can all take the first bite." He's just a big chicken when it comes to foraging. Although, he is up for mushroom hunting.  We may be taking a mushroom hunting class to familiarize ourselves with what is edible and what is not.

3 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

MMM... how about Broccoli Salad. If your family likes broccoli and perhaps you have some in the garden or the freezer.

I have a recipe we like ...but for the sake of time... I'm enclosing a link for you... we don't put peas in ours, as this recipe calls for. But it uses sunflower seeds!

http://southernfood.about.com/od/broccolisaladrecipes/r/bl30321j.htm

...bon appetite!
...oh, about your netting. It's not so snug that keeps the flower from wilting or turning before it is ready? ...there's room to grow?

Pat

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

This is the first year for me to try this. Another follower suggested nylons. My cheesecloth is still a bit loose, but the seeds are almost ready.

Candy C. said...

Hope that deters those pesky birds and you can harvest LOTS of sunflower seeds!