Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, September 30, 2011

Pumpkin Pie and Rag Rollers

I kept about 3 cups crushed, homemade graham crackers.  I also have about 3 cups puree pumpkin I kept for making 2 homemade pumpkin pies.  I may post picture of those pies later, or tomorrow.

The other day my youngest dd asked me to rag roll her hair.  A year or so ago, I cut old flannel pajamas into strips.  


I forgot to take photos for her picture day (wasn't feeling good), but I am sharing these older photos of the same daughter's hair.  The trick to not getting frizzy curls, is to use thicker pieces of hair, not smaller sections.

This is from previous years, but the curls turn out the same.  The day she had school pictures, it was raining and very moist.  It will be interesting if the curls held up or not.  Maybe next year, I'll take her school photos myself vs. paying the school to do it.  Typically, we would go to an inexpensive department store photo studio.  This year, I just didn't get it done.  My 14 and 12 year-old daughters missed school picture day.  They simply forgot to tell me.  I may take their pictures myself, if I can locate a place to use as a background for them.

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

Love the look of those curls! :)
I roasted two pumpkins this morning in preparation for pie making!

simplicityinthemaking said...

That is how we curl our hair here too. This time of year too much humidity in the air means lots of hair spray. It looks lovely. I couldn't help but chuckle when you said you need a back drop for 'school' photo's. I always said the same thing. Finally one day I took an outdoor picture and it turned out so beautiful, under a coloured sugar maple, I got the rest all dressed up and took tons of photo's of each child and group shots. best pictures I have of the kids are in the fall with the changing colours. Good luck with your choice.