Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Homemade Pumpkin Butter Results ~ Sun Flower Seeds


My 5 pumpkins resulted in 9 pints of pumpkin butter.  After researching canning recipes, I decided to heat my lids, after sterilizing jars, and simply attach the lids.  I allowed them to cool, and then moved them to the refrigerator.  They will last up to 6 months this way.  

Canning is not recommended.  In fact, I plan to take the last of the pumpkins, and make pumpkin puree to freeze.  Then I can simply take it out to make pumpkin waffles, pumpkin bread, muffins, or pumpkin pie.  There are tons of pumpkin recipes to try it with.  

Having always purchased sunflower seeds from a store, my husband was actually "giddy" when I shared these with him.


"We grew those?" he squealed like a little kid getting candy (ha ha ha!)

I will have to start covering some of them with cheese cloth.  The birds are starting to get into them, and they are not all ready to harvest.

And once again, I am shocked at the fresh taste these little guys had.  So much better than what you buy in the stores.  Hubby wants a whole field of these now - ha ha ha ha!

5 comments:

simplicityinthemaking said...

Good for you. Squirrels got my seeds before they had a chance to grow!

Kim said...

Try covering your sunflower heads with nylon stocking. I cut a section from a pair of old pantyhose and tie a knot right in the end and then pull around the head a bit. The stretch allows it to stay on and the birds can't eat the seeds. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Home grown is always better! I love it when someone I know finds that out. It's amazing what we'll settle for in flavor when we don't think there are any other options.

Candy C. said...

I'm always surprised at how much better ANYTHING homegrown and fresh is! It hasn't sat in a store or warehouse for who knows how long! Tell him you can't plant the whole garden in sunflower seeds though! :)

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

OH! this year we actually had sunflower seeds that we grew and I've also grown them before and got to eat them. You're right...they are tasty.
This years crop was eating by the hoppers! I tell you they are ruthless little buggers!
Anyway... next year, I'm investing in some insect netting for sure!

It so cool-- you grew something your hubby loves! Now if I could just grow peppermint candies for mine!
LOL!

Pat