Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Homemade Noodles

It's noodle making day.  I hand roll my noodles, so it took all morning - 2 dozen egg yolks.  The barred rock's eggs are still a bit smaller, so I use 2 of them for every egg in a recipe now.


I have noodles drying every where in my kitchen today.  Since we were gone most of the day yesterday, it's a mess and difficult to maneuver in.

My oldest daughter has reminded me that we have not had "tea time" all summer long.  It was just way too hot or we had too many mosquitoes to enjoy the front porch.

Today, I am making them iced green tea with a bit of peppermint in it.  I'm not sure what I will bake yet, as I need to put two whole chickens in the roaster still.  

We have a good strong wind today, so I need to get as much on the clothes line as I can.  The weather is turning much colder and it with the storng wind, should dry fast.

I saved my egg whites for another angel food cake.  I just don't have the counter space to bring my mixer out and make it.  That will have to wait for tomorrow, and I'll have to come up with something else for today.

Update:  I decided to make the kids another batch of zucchini banana bars.  We like to call them brownies.

I used Swiss chard stalks, in place of buying celery, in my roaster pan.  We'll see how it tastes.  


I still have a few carrots in the garden, but will use those for muffins this week.  The ones in the roaster are from the store, but organic.


Speaking of food, we grilled burgers with our tomato jelly last night.  It really doesn't have a ton of flavor like I thought.  It's good, but I think I will try a tomato jam or preserves next time. 

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

I admire you for making the homemade noodles! :) I may have to give that a try this winter.

Anonymous said...

Swiss chard is great stuff though it doesn't have a lot of flavor. I like how it holds its shape in soups though.

Looks yummy!