Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, September 2, 2011

Got Tomatoes?

The day starts early when you grow a garden, harvest it, and process it into canning jars (or the freezer).  I was cutting up roma tomatoes before the last kiddo got on her bus this morning.  I think I chopped up over 200 this time.

I have two tables of beef sized tomatoes, a strainer of cherry tomatoes and more romas, a generous amount of pears that were gifted to us (maybe I'll make jam), 2 spaghetti squash, and a bunch more green peppers.  Oh, and some cayenne peppers too.

I'll be back with an update.  Today's heat index is to reach 105° here, and it's too hot to even wear an apron in the kitchen. 


Oh....I forgot, we have 2 watermelons and a cantaloupe to cut up too.  I want to dry the cantaloupe, but not in this heat.


Yesterday, the temperature soared above the 90's, and even the barn cats were looking like road kill.


Here is Aurora (Rorie) hanging out on the grass just next to our horseshoe shaped driveway.  It's not uncommon to see her stretched out like that in the middle of the drive, in the early evening.

4 comments:

Yart said...

Your kitten made me giggle.... It is so cute!

Candy C. said...

It's hot here too, but at least it's a DRY heat! ;)

Kim said...

I love hearing about all those tomatoes. I wish I was still getting as many as you.

Unknown said...

probably cool on the grass...