Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Docters and Dentists & Preparing For Another Recession

I nearly crocheted an entire dishcloth yesterday.  The dentist office was so full, that people were standing throughout our visit.  My body is getting sore from all this "sitting" time.  My kids told me I should just stand up and stretch and do exercises, and not worry about if people think I'm on drugs. Ha ha ha!

My son had to drive my older daughter to the doctor.  She came home very sick and very sleepy.  They gave her a Tdap shot to protect her from many  possible, deadly illnesses.  However, she just started her job, and guess how many side effects this one single shot has?

RISKS AND SIDE EFFECTS
Tdap may cause the following mild side effects, which usually last only a few days:
  • Body aches
  • Chills
  • Fever
  • Headache
  • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
  • Rash
  • Redness or swelling at the injection site
  • Soreness at the injection site
She had a horse riding lesson, and today, she has to work both at her job and at the stable.  This will be interesting, as she was so nauseated, that she had to pull off the road last night.  She does not even take over the counter medications such as pain relievers, so you can imagine how sick she felt.  She and I are alike that way.  We don't do well at all with medications.  Migraines are about the only thing I can't take medications for.  Even when I gave birth the the kids, I went without pain shots, epidurals, etc. Medications just make us more sick.

If you are watching the news lately, have you been preparing yourself for another recession?  How about paying gas prices up to $8.00/gallon?  We are still preparing and still searching for a goat in milk.  We can't pay $6.19/gallon for organic milk, and the cheap stuff has nothing in it that is good for our bodies.  Having goat milk or investing in a cow would really be a safe move right now.  However, all this money that is going to doctors and dentists, is really draining us financially.  I horse could get us to town for emergencies when we can't pay the higher gas prices that may arrive sooner than we want.

Speaking of doctors......ugh.

My son, after they pulled in from the doctor, went out to check on the goats.  As he came back he accidentally stuck his hand with a nail in the barn.  How? I have no idea.   I joked that I need to drive the entire family up and get them all a tetanus shot. 

4 comments:

Candy C. said...

These are certainly sobering times we are going through in this country.

Hope your daughter gets over the side effects of the shot soon.

Living on a farm, it probably wouldn't hurt to get everyone a tetanus shot!

Unknown said...

When it rains it pours! There's a good anti-nausea accupressure spot: midway between your upper lip and bottm of nose, in the middle. Press for a couple of minutes, gently but firmly. Works well! I would encourage people getting vaccines to drink a LOT of water afterwards, flush out some toxins. I've studied a lot of alternative healing stuff :) I remember my Mom saying that the older kids drank coffee during the depression instead of milk. Ugh. I have been storing up more food, and that's part of the reason I'm starting to can. Who knows what food prices will be in a year? But I look on the bright side, we're both employed and situated, could be much worse, so I'm grateful...

Unknown said...

I forgot- there's really good accupressure spots for migraines too. I randomly get "occular" headaches, with flashing lights. Accupressure is the only thing that works to get rid of them fast. PM me if you want some info?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks for the info on the acupressure.