Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Canning and Eggs ~ Editor of My Writing

Last night, as I was taking clothes off the line, I looked out at the garden.  I forgot to check on my cauliflower and cabbage.  I walked over and found 2 nice heads of cauliflower ready to harvest.  I also found 1 head of cabbage ready.  Back inside I went, and started searching for recipes.  I already have a basket full of green beans, the last of the potatoes, and some organic bacon for dinner tonight.  I needed a way to preserve or store up the cabbage.

Visit back to see what we decided to make with both of them.  I'm busy cutting up tomatoes for another batch of tomato sauce.  I ran out of onions.  I went to the garden, and begged the earth to give me just a few more, but we have used all that we planted.  Next year, we need more. 

While hubby is out buying me more onion, I will finish cutting up the tomatoes.  We were surprised that the produce stand, just down the road, does not have onions.  We use onion and garlic in many of our homemade dishes.

As for the cauliflower, I may use it for dinner tomorrow. I'll figure that out later.  However, we nibbled on a bit and it has a lot more flavor that what you find in stores. 

My son has also been caretaker of the chickens lately.  He's brought it to my attention that I need to make homemade noodles and an angel food cake too.  The barred rocks are laying eggs like crazy now, but they are half the size of the red hen's eggs.  

I am having my 12th grade daughter edit my writing.  She absolutely loooooooooves to edit.  She can't stand it when the local newspaper has errors in it.  She is also co-editor of the school newspaper this year.  YAY!  I've been sooooo tired (physically) that I've not been thinking straight. If I make a mistake, I know that she will find it.  She has a natural "knack" for editing.

1 comment:

Candy C. said...

Homemade noodles and angel food cake both sound good to me!
Tell your daughter I agree with her about errors in the newspaper!