One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, July 25, 2011

Needle Tatting

Last winter I attempted to teach myself how to tat.  Just as I did with knitting, I bought a "how to" kit to start, and hated it.  So, I went to the local craft store and purchased my very own tatting needles.


Today, I finally made progress.  I also did a ring, but the photo is blurry and my card is full (oops!).  To practice I used the string that secure the tops of feed sacks.  I saved enough to make smaller pieces, but will use longer threads to make a longer chain/ring combination piece.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes me to finish a 3 foot piece.  Especially now that it's gardening season.

1 comment:

Candy C. said...

I did some needle tatting last winter too! If you have MaryJane's Stitching Room book or can borrow it from the library, there is a pretty good tutorial in there. Have fun!