Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Milkweed, Clothespins and More Berry Pickin'

Today, we picked milkweed flower buds for our first quiche.  I have also picked a few of the flowers.  I'll boil those and post that later, after it's baked.  I hope it doesn't affect, my already flared up, allergies.






To cut back on washing towels so often, I have initiated a clothespin system for the kids.  Each one has a clothespin with their name, and they are to mark their bath towel and dry it after each use for the week.  Then, and only then, will I wash them.  They groaned about this, but when you get out of the shower, you are clean.  So what's the problem?  I'm tired of washing towels every day around here, and it should cut back my water and electric usage.

We picked about another 1/2 quart of wild black raspberries.  My new best friend is:
I need about another quart of berries to make jelly.  They are coming in about every day now.  In the process of picking berries, we found a deer bedding area.

Our heirloom runner beans are starting to bloom.  They are a very bright orange.

 

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

Good idea about the mask! Jerry wears one when he cleans the horse pens because of the dust. Hope it helps with your allergies!

Unknown said...

We raised 3 girls and washed once a week, like the rest of our bedding, clothes, etc. They each had an assigned spot on 2 different towel racks, and were good about keeping them seperated. The towels lasted a long time!