Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, July 15, 2011

Family Quilt Goes On a Road Trip

I am not sure on the details of this quilt, and have sent e-mails to extended family for help.  I do know that my Mom, and two Aunt's used it on their bed as girls.  And yes they shared one bed.  


Backside

I'm waiting to find out if my grandmother or my great grandmother made this.  I think I was told it was made from old clothes and rags.  Back then, nothing was thrown out, so you know this is very old.  I was worried about taking it out and putting it on the line for the photos, but wanted to e-mail the historical society. 

Which brings me to the "road trip" part.  Because of the quilts history and fragile state, I am attempting to donate it to a historical society in my grandparents county.  Their original house burned down several years ago, and is not even standing.  Gosh that brings back memories.  Grandma's house smell, is still in the blanket.  I have not washed it, because the material would just fall apart.

Here is a close up of the pattern that was used.  The material is a bit faded, but this quilt is by far, heavier than any blanket you could buy today.  

As soon as I have more information, I'll be updating on the road trip and where it's going for display.

2 comments:

Sunflowers And Honey said...

Thanks for posting, I love hearing about historical things and this is so special because it's your family! I would love to have something my Great Grandma made! Can't wait to hear how the quilt's road trip goes!

Candy C. said...

What a neat thing you are doing!