Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, May 19, 2011

More Rain = More Baking

It’s still raining here today.  If I had not run out of sugar, I would be canning apple jelly today.  I don’t want to waste gas driving to town for one bag of sugar.  However, I did bake up 2 dozen organic pumpkin muffins. 

 
I found a quick recipe on-line, but used ½ cup whole wheat flour with 2 cups of white, used sea salt vs. regular salt, used my farm fresh eggs, and only used 1 cup of organic evaporated cane syrup.  And with all other recipes, I swap out oil with organic or homemade apple sauce.  I did not top mine with the suggested sugar mix either, and they taste wonderful.

I have yet taken the time to make my own pumpkin pie spice, so that is on my "to-do" list.

2 comments:

larkspur funny farm said...

Sounds wonderful - we must be thinking alike. I made pumpkin bread with cranberries and YUMMY is the word. Had snow again last night so I might bake something this orning to warm the log home.
Enjoy!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Our rain stopped today, so we are forced to mow and do yard work. More rain is on the way. I guess I better get my recipes ready for some more baking, huh? I do love cranberries with pumpkin too. Sounds delicious.