Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Making Do ~ Using it Up

To help provide lunch snacks for the kids, I baked banana bread two days in a row, using organic bananas.
I used some whole wheat flour I purchased from the stone mill, and mixed it half and half with the white.  I also had about 5 sun dried apricots leftover, so I chopped those up and added them to the bread.  It was pretty tasty.

Today, I am using a ham bone from the holidays, and making soup.  I'm taking several items from the freezer that I froze over summer (from the garden).  It sure smells good!

For dessert I dug through my cupboards and used one can of canned sweet potatoes to make a pound cake.  I didn't have the orange juice it called for, but made it anyway.  The chickens have supplied us with some eggs this week.

My daily reading chair has moved from the front porch, to the back yard, and now to the living room.
This is my favorite place to crochet, read my Bible, and write.  Today's it's a perfect chair to view the beautiful snow we are getting today.


I've been crocheting a few dishcloths in this chair.  Here are are few pictures of some of them.


 
I'm using up whatever yarn I have.  As for my cleaning updates, I am moving on the kitchen (gulp!) area next week.  I'm not sure I'm up for that yet, as our family computer is in the kitchen and that area is a mess right now.

No comments: