One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Canning Apple Pie Filling

I am starting with a 1/2 bushel Fuji apples.  My wonderful mother brought me these from the orchard.  I have never canned apple pie filling, so I hope the lady at the orchard picked out a nice apple for canning (as she said they would be).


We peeled and sliced and filled the 7 quart canning jars.  My 18 year old son, who was home, and didn't have to leave for work real soon, helped me.


I took the extra sliced apples, and leftover syrup, and made 2 pies for dinner.  Yes, those are frozen pie crusts.  You caught me. I have cheated a bit today.  They were in the freezer, and the needed to be baked anyway.  I added a crumb topping with flour, brown sugar, butter, and oats.  They are still baking.

And I have these many apples left.  I may can 7 more quarts if I have enough jars.  Probably tomorrow, not today.


Here the the jars after the boiling bath.


And the final jars cooling!  Phew!  I did it!  Now we just have to make some more pies and give this recipe a taste.  Of course, the two baking, have the same syrup too.

1 comment:

merryone said...

I've canned my own filling and what a convenience and timesaver it turned out to be! Whenever I needed a pie or husband wanted one, there it is! Also was a wonderful thing last winter when we were snowed in, we treated ourselves to pie! I hope it is all you want it to be! Hugs, Merry