Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday Sales ~ Stay Home or Go Out?

Yesterday, my husband plopped the local newspaper onto the bed.  I picked it up, and for a minute, thought he had brought home a Sunday newspaper.  There were so many ads in the newspaper, I don't think there was much of the "news" in the paper to read.   Really?  Do we need to have so many ads in our paper?

Well, as many people take this shopping experience seriously, I stay home.  Far, far away from the pushing and shoving and name calling.  Many moons ago, I too joined the crazy group of shoppers.  Only for me, I shopped for half-price toys for my kids when they were younger. 

A few years later, my husband couldn't understand why I didn't shop on the Friday after Thanksgiving anymore.  He decided he would get up at 5:00am and head to Wal-mart.  Well, he arrived, turned out and went to a Bob Evans for breakfast, and returned home.  He tells his story each year now, telling people they have to be "crazy" to shop during this day.

After his experience, he too, will never shop for "Black Friday" sales again either.  I can say that most items go on sale later anyway.  As for me and my family, for now anyway, we will be staying out of the stores.

Just because it's on sale, doesn't mean a person needs it to live.  Many sales ads that drag folks to the store cause them to spend frivolously.  It's more about the thrill of the hunt for a "deal" and not so much for providing basic living essentials.  A shopper really needs to have self-control during the holidays.  Don't get sucked into the sales ads this year.  You may need those extra dollars next year, after the holidays.

1 comment:

eDITORcHRIS said...

I COMPLETELY AGREE. IT'S JUST THE THRILL OF FINDING A DEAL AND IS FOR THINGS THAT ARE NOT NEEDED AND MOST DEFINITELY NOT WORTH LIVES. PEOPLE ARE DYING AND INJURING ONE ANOTHER TO GO SHOPPING. THAT'S DEAD WRONG.