Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

New Muffin Recipe ~ Carrots from the garden

Even though today holds much more activity than I'd like, I am still baking an after school snack for the kids.  It is also a lunch packing for some, including my husband.  I'm baking Morning Glory Muffins I, using carrots from the garden, whole wheat flour from a local stone mill (preservative free), organic apple, apple butter from a local orchard (until I learn to make it myself), and of course our farm fresh eggs!  I can't wait to taste them.  They are packed with nutrition, so I hope the family likes them too.  These might be something to take along on camping trips and trail hikes. 

I'm also using the last of our garden carrots to may a "skinny" scalloped potato recipe from the Clean Eating Magazine.  I'd be using garden potatoes for this, but we have depleted our supply for this year.  We are definitely adding more to the garden next year.

I'm back with an update on the muffin recipe.  I could just go to allrecipes and rate it also, but wanted to share with my followers.  These are perfect for breakfast, and a great way to start the day writing!

To cut back on expenses and paper waste, I use muffin pans sprayed with organic olive oil non-stick stray.  They are delicious!  If you don't mind grating carrots and chopping apples, these are very good and good for you.

The chickens are happy too!  They are nibbling on peelings from baking these.

No comments: