Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Watermelon from the Garden ~ What to do with cucumbers?

I counted about 5 baby sized watermelons in the garden this morning.  Yea!  I can't wait to make fun recipes with juicy watermelon this year.  I was searching around on the Internet and found the National Watermelon Promotion Board. Lots of recipe on there.

Yesterday, after I picked cucumbers, I started looking for different ways to cook them or healthy toppings.  I remembered, that on the movie "Julie & Julia" she made braised cucumbers.  So, I am on the search for many recipes, with the goal to not let anything go to waste in the garden. I have to say that movie really influenced me on trying new recipes.

I even sliced one cucumber up, cooled it in the fridge and used them to cool our eyes.  Temperatures were up to 94°F here and extremely humid.  We did end up eating those too - ha ha ha!  However, if you have never place cooled cucumbers on your eyes, you are really missing out on a at-home spa treatment.  It felt great!

No comments: