Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

New Food Tried Today


It's been some time between posts lately. But that is what happens when a family member has undergone a serious heart surgery and needs assistance. Considering I love to cook, I've been trying new recipes and keeping track of heart healthy meals. I've even taken this into consideration with several new articles on the Web sites I write for.

Tonight we tired okra for the first time. I'm so used to flavorful vegetables now, that I'm not sure about this one. The kids like it so I may just leave it as is. We were excited to be able to add zucchini from our own garden too. Our green beans are not doing so well, so I did buy some of those for this recipe.

For the recipe you can look for the book The Cardiac Recovery Cookbook, by M. Laurel Cutlip, R.D., L.N. with Sari Budgazad, R.D., C.D.N., or click on the recipe link below for an on-line cookbook that contains the exact same recipe (page 96 of the cookbook on-line):

Italian Vegetable Bake

I received favorable remarks from the kids with this recipe. I even did some research as to what benefits okra has for our bodies.

No comments: